Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Suicide and Survival Portraits: Writing and Drawing


Over the last year I did a series of about fifty self portraits--usually when I was feeling depressed and suicidal. I call them the "Suicide Portraits".

Last night, around midnight, I did this blue self portrait. I wasn't feeling suicidal just a little lonely--which is normal-- and that is why I call this one a "Survival Portrait". I have survived the desolation and trauma of broken dreams, a broken marriage, and a broken heart.

With all the portraits I added brief writings, describing my thoughts and feelings. I will eventually publish the drawings and writings together.
Here is the writing that went along with this drawing:

"I never seem to draw myself looking very attractive. I only try to draw what I see and not project any sort of mood onto it, yet the drawings always capture what I am feeling at the time.

I can't call this one a suicide portrait because I wasn't feeling suicidal. Perhaps I ought to call it a survival portrait. Thoughts of suicide still come to me, usually as images of myself hanging or of me sticking a gun in my mouth. But the images are dull and faded like old photographs in an album--like whispers rather than the earlier screams.

I have been so busy with schoolwork that I don't have time to sit around and brood. School has put off my anxiety about the future until another day. It's nice to have more immediate goals.

In the end I may be a crazy mumbling artist living in a cardboard box, but at least I will have taken my shot at honoring the muse. I am doing this by working to get degrees in Fine Art and Creative Writing.

Matsuo Basho, a Haiku and Renku Master, was one of the world's greatest poets, yet he lived in his soggy broken "Banana Hut". I wish I had the peace Basho attained--maybe I will someday have it.

Earlier tonight the rich neighbors--the ones that strung up all the white Christmas lights--had a Christmas party. I heard loud voices and barking laughter then a woman shouted, 'I love you.' A minute later there was the slamming of car doors. Now there is only silence and the sound of the rain."

I don't know why, over the last year, I drew all those portraits. I guess I was trying to get outside the suffering a little bit--to get outside my body and focus on the task of drawing. What I do know is that I felt driven to do it and I know that the process helped get me through the dark time.

Also, I don't know why I feel compelled to share what I draw and write.

One hope I have is that I can share my love of writing and drawing and that, like a spark, it will touch off the tinder in someone's heart.
My hope is that I can share what worked--and still works for me--so that some of it may work for someone else.
In that vein I will share a few things:

Two inspiring books on writing--"Writing Down the Bones", and "An Old Friend From Far Away". Both books are by Natalie Goldberg. The later one is about writing memoir and contains many prompts and exercises.

Two inspiring books on drawing--"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. (I found that the best part of this book--for me--is the chapter on Blind Contour Drawing. C.f., Elizabeth Layton and her art that was inspired by this chapter.)

And "Keys to Drawing" by Bert Dodson.

I found these books to be very inspiring and helpful, but you don't have to wait to get the books, you can start now.

Try this: set down with a piece of paper and a pen or pencil. Set a timer for ten minutes. Keep your pen or pencil moving until the timer goes off. (If you get stuck keep writing and just write "I feel stuck, I feel stuck" until you feel unstuck.)
Try the prompt, "I remember...." You can use "I remember..." again and again and later go back and cross most of them out once they have served the purpose of triggering your memory.

Try this: set down with a piece of paper and a pen or pencil. Set on object in front of you-- something that means something to you or that is interesting. Set a timer for ten minutes. Keep your pencil moving until the timer goes off. Follow the edges of the object in front of you as if your pencil tip was an ant slowly creeping along, tracing it out. Draw what you see and take the time to really look. Tip: you ought to look more at the object you are drawing than at the paper.

Remember go easy on yourself and don't let your inner critic spoil the fun.


If you find these tips or books useful I would really appreciate hearing about it from you. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. The blind contour drawing is really fun and I'm always surprised at the outcome. It's sloppy and doesn't line up at the end BUT it's always chalk full of details that I don't actually see with my eyes. At least not until my hand "sees" them and draws them.

    Also. I'm glad you only hear whispers now, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Val. I appreciate your feedback. Sometimes I like the sloppiness because it adds a loosness that is free and expressive rather than tight and constricted. There is a good balance in there somewhere between having a loose hand and yet knowing what to do where. I am still working on it.

    ReplyDelete