Monday, January 10, 2011

The Evolution of a Sculpture: Spider forms and Wheels.

Again, here is my next class assignment for 3 Dimensional Design,

 Line: create a maquette, no less than 18 inches tall, using only line, that exhibits a physical activity. This maquette should define volume and form and be visually dynamic.

I started putting some ideas down on paper last night and continued to develop the idea today. Here is the progression:




I drew this one just before bed, last night. I thought it was too simple, so I wanted to further play with the idea.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This was the next one I drew. As you can see the original image is in the center, but I have added other ideas to the composition. I am still not quite happy with what I have done.
 
Now I am getting closer to what I want, even though the original idea has disappeared. I like the wheels but the assignment calls for something dynamic. I wanted to imply dynamic motion with the knobs on the wheels-- showing them at different points on the wheel as if it were all the same wheel turning around. Still the upright poles don't look very dynamic.

Well, this composition is certainly more dynamic and I like the multiple images clustered together. I think that I like this one best. I think it is closer to the requirement of dynamism. I can see them cast from metal and looking a brown and rusty green, surrounded by weeds. For the assignment I will have to make this from wire.

I will keep you posted on how this project evolves. Art is fun and challenging!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment