Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Shadow Masters: Chiaroscuro








My Instructor, at Lane Community College, Adam Grosowski experienced a personal crisis and consequently wasn't around, this last term, as much as I would have liked.
It was unfortunate because when he was around I learned more, about painting, from him than I have any one else.

I am obviously not the only one who thinks Adam is "the bomb", for instance,
I registered for one of his classes, next term, and even though I registered early the class was full--he had to sign a waiver to squeeze me in.

One thing Adam kept doing is pointing us towards the Masters so that we could learn from them. He especially liked Wyeth, Hopper, and Degas.

Now that I am on Spring break and I am completely without an Instructor I feel like a sheep without a shepherd.
So, I have decided to do my own studies of the Masters. I looked past Hopper and Wyeth to Rembrandt Van Rijn and Caravaggio--Masters of the technique of chiaroscuro.

I work well with deadlines and assignments, so I set a few for myself. I gave myself the assignment to do a self-portrait in the chiaroscuro style of Rembrandt Van Rijn.
Here are the stages of the drawing as I worked on it:






























The drawing was done with vine charcoal, white charcoal, and Conte crayon on 17" x 24" archival drawing paper.


2 comments:

  1. Love it, Daniel. I'm not surprised you passed up Wyeth and Hopper (and Degas for that matter!). I will say, though, that Andrew Wyeth's Christina's World was the first paining I ever fell in love with. I was thirteen years old. When he passed away a couple of years ago, I cried. A lot.

    I like how you showed us part of your process in this piece. Excellent! And, I like your hair in this one, along with your eyes. Nice work. It's a lovely portrait of where you are in life; focused and driven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara, It is interesting that you mention focused and driven--I didn't even notice that look, especially in my eyes, until you said that. It is the laser-beam look of a bird of prey.

    ReplyDelete