Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Lonely Room

The cardboard box and objects in it are made entirely of cardboard, paper, glue, some wire and masking tape--everything is covered with a layer of masking tape, making it white and ideal for drawing.

I made it as an assignment for Andreas "Andy" Salzman's 3-D design class.



 The drawing below is a drawing I did from putting an action figure in the cardboard room to represent me.

I did the drawing early in the morning to get the melancholy morning light. Then, I added the Portland skyline. I used to live there and once had a life there. It was a dream within a dream.

I bought the action figure--the hospital orderly--at Hiron's.
 They also had the Cat Lady and Vincent Van Gogh.

 The Vincent Van Gogh figure comes with two heads so one can interchange them. One head is the bearded Vincent, the other is of Vincent shaven, wearing a hat with a bandage over his mutilated ear.

Poor beautiful Vincent. He was--like me--lonely and disturbed and unlucky in love.





No comments:

Post a Comment