Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Process-Painting: Sunset City



Sunset City: Oil on canvas 6"X6"
I wanted to show you all the process, some of the steps, that go into making a painting.

The above photo is the finished product, but the following photos show where I started and how I progressed.


1


2



3


4

5


6


7-the finished painting.

This painting started out as a "mentor painting"--which means I was transcribing it from one of the modern Masters but I added some final touches to make it my own. The Master was Tom Brown whose style and prolific output is inspiring. He sells DVD's that teach his style of painting which is Modern Impressionist but I can't afford, right now, the DVD. 

Many of the old Masters practised transcribing the works of the Masters that went before them; for example Vincent van Gogh transcribed the paintings of Delacroix, Millet, and many others. Some of Vincent van Gogh's most famous poaintings are actually his transcriptions of Millet paintings.
Vincent's "Sower"--which he painted many times-- is an example.

As I continue to learn I will continue to share and thank those who are showing me the path.




1 comment:

  1. stunning. if only i was capable of such wonder. When I try to paint a landscape it looks like my tote of paint barfed on my canvas (or whatever else I might be painting on)

    ReplyDelete