Thursday, July 21, 2011

Monet's Children


Today, I went out to paint en plein air--in the open air--and I was very disappointed with the little painting I made. It was covered in cliche and powedery looking, as if I used baby powder on it instead of Sennlier pastels.

Finally, I packed up my gear and headed for home, wondering why I hadnt become a plumber or something besides an artist. Maybe I am just not a landscape painter, I thought as I felt grey clouds form in my mind.

I got home and watched a Mark Rothko documentary on YouTube while eating a TV dinner--I was trying to make myself feel better.

After the documentary I walked out onto the porch and I saw the sunset. My mouth dropped open and I rushed for my pastels. They were nearby on the bed and I grabbed a handful of them and started  in.

If the neighbors had looked out their window they would have seen a bearded man staring into the sun chattering and scribbling furiously all over a piece of colored paper. I was chasing the light! 

 I didnt have time to think about establishing a good composition or values or even underpainting--I was racing.

When I was done and the sun was down over the trees I looked at my little painting and smiled.

I am an artist, I thought, why did I ever doubt?





 To Monet, who chased the light and found it--I salute you!

This painting, as most of my others, looks a lot better on Flickr. To see my photostream just go to Flickr and look up Daniel Balter. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43692916@N03/

No comments:

Post a Comment