Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sunburns, Wetlands, and Painting The Big Blue Sky


The Big Blue Sky
Pastel on Canson's pastel paper
9" x 12"


I got sunburned on my face, hands, and feet doing this pastel painting. I forgot to take sunblock and my big straw hat.

On the bright side (pun intended) I found a new place for finding motifs--interesting and beautiful places to paint: to the west of downtown Eugene Oregon are wetlands and wildlife refuges. I can even get there by bike because the bike trail runs all the way through these beautiful areas.

Next time I go there I will go closer to sunset and not again at mid-day.


2 comments:

  1. Would you still have enough light to paint by at sunset?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, There are several ways to manage a sunset painting: if using oil paint, premix anticipated color palette and use several brushes--one for each major color group, in order to spare a lot of brush rinsing--it is a race with the sun!

    Last night I painted the sunset, using chalk pastels and I had very little trouble seeing what I was doing even though I was looking into a big blown out fireball in the sky. The sky was yellow sunshine beams with a fiery pink band close to the horizon line and the trees were dark shapes composed mostly of indigo blue, alizarin crimson, and viridian dark--the last three hues mentioned, very low (dark) on the value scale.

    As a side note, in his later years, Monet banished black from his palette and when he wanted to make something dark he used the same hues: indigo blue, aliz. crimson, and viridian.

    ReplyDelete