Friday, September 2, 2011

Cezanne's Carrot

Paul Cezanne, one of the great Post-Impressionist painters, once said, "With an apple I will astonish Paris."

He is also reported to have said,“The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.”

Cezanne did indeed astonish Paris and set off a revolution; and he is now considered the Father of Modern art.

I used Cezanne's methods of using warm and cool colors to create form (warm colors advance on the picture plane and cool colors recede), when I painted this tomato.

For example, instead of using black to create shadow, I used cool greens, cool dark blue; and a cool red for a complementary color in the green shadow.
Also, I also used a violet (a cool color) under the edge of the tomato to push back the bottom edge.

See Impressionist color theory online for more information of this fascinating topic.






I am no Paul Cezanne and I painted a tomato rather than an apple, but I think that my painting is better off for having been painted in a Post-Impressionist manner.
Thank you,Paul Cezanne for your contribution to art.

You can purchase this painting by direct email to me at mailto:dkbalter@comcast.net or on my Etsy shop account:.net


No comments:

Post a Comment